As a business owner, you already know the importance of roof maintenance. Proper maintenance can help protect your costly roofing system from leaks, weathering, and other damages that can rack up hefty charges, especially when you need repair for your roofing in Winter months. But, how do you maintain a roof? Roof maintenance is typically conducted by a professional and includes every component of your roofing system. This will help protect your roof from Winter perils such as heavy snow and ice, extreme temperatures, and other hazards that can harm your system.
Why Roof Maintenance is Important
Roofing systems are far from inexpensive and you want your roof to last as long as possible. Wintertime weather can be very damaging to many roofing systems and bring with it hazards like harsh winds and precipitation, dangerous UV rays, and extreme temperatures that can cause material damage. Effective roof maintenance can help protect your system through the coldest months of the year to provide maximum life and durability for your roof. Roof maintenance can identify weaknesses and damages within your roofing system before they lead to serious problems to save you hassle, stress, and money.
- Snow and Ice Damage: Heavy precipitation in the Winter can cause serious problems to your roofing system. Melted ice and snow can seep into small cracks or tiny holes in your roof and then refreeze, causing separation and material damage.
- Temperature Strains: As temperatures heat and cool, your roofing material expands and contracts. The repeated process of this can cause seams to separate and surface to detach. Roof maintenance can identify small cracks and holes for proper repair before an issue is at hand.
- Secondary Components: During the Winter, the secondary components of your roofing system, such as gutters and soffit and fascia, are more important than ever. As Winter precipitation melts, large amounts of water are left to drain off of your roofing system. Subpar gutters or soffit and fascia boards can prevent proper drainage, leading to mold, rot, and material damages.
- Excessive Energy Costs: Damages in your roofing system and insulation can cause warm air from your building to escape, causing your energy bills to skyrocket and your heater to be overworked and in need of repair. Proper inspection can catch these issues and deliver better heating abilities for your business.
Roofing in Wintertime
Can you fix a roof in the Winter? While roofing in Winter is possible, severe weather and extreme temperatures make wintertime roof repairs an expensive hassle. Many roofing products are temperature sensitive, meaning they must be used in certain temperature windows for effective results. So, how can a roof be repaired in the Winter? Oftentimes, a roofing team must wait on more ideal weather or temperatures to provide effective repairs, leaving you to deal with the hassles of a damaged roof. To ensure that your roofing system lasts the entire Winter, proper roof maintenance is key.
What Does Roof Maintenance Include?
Effective roof maintenance includes every part of your roofing system. Your roofing expert will perform a comprehensive inspection of your system including areas like yo9ur gutters, soffit and fascia, and even your underlayment. Ensure your roofing expert hits each of these areas for complete roof maintenance service.
Not all roof maintenance teams are created equally. In fact, many roofing teams simply perform a basic surface inspection that concentrates on material only. When choosing a roofing team, ask what is included in their roof maintenance service to ensure that your roofing system is getting the attention it deserves.
Roof Maintenance Checklist:
- Inspect all roofing material for damages and signs of aging.
- Inspect decking and base for damages that can cause shifting and leaks.
- Assess flashing and joints for signs of separation, caulking deficiencies, or other damages that can lead to roof leaks. Check around chimneys, vents, and other protrusions.
- Check all soffit and fascia boards for cracks, fading, peeling, and warping that can be signs of needed repairs or replacement.
- Evaluate gutters and mounting brackets for problems like clogs, separation, and sagging that prevent correct water flow.
- Assess the condition of insulation and look for signs of moisture that could indicate a roof leak. Check for mold and mildew as well as animal infestation signs that could indicate an opening.
- Inspect underlayment sheeting for tears and damages that can let in water, insects, heat, and other outside hazards.
No matter what type of roof system you have, the WeatherShield Roofing Group team is here to provide you with comprehensive services to ensure durable roofing in Winter months around Longwood and Orlando, FL that you can count on. Our professionals provide a complete inspection of each component of your roofing system and discuss your roof’s weaknesses and damages with you. We deliver detailed information about your roofing solutions including material and roof repair explanations so you are sure to choose the best solution for your roofing system. When you need expert roof maintenance for your Longwood and Orlando, FL roofing system, call the WeatherShield Roofing Group team first at (407) 298-0100. We can deliver the care your roof needs for maximum life and protection.